Southeast Asia Regional Judicial Colloquium on Gender Equality Jurisprudence and the Role of the Judiciary in Promoting Women's Access to Justice
UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, in collaboration with the Office of the Judiciary of Thailand and the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ), convened the Judicial Colloquium on Gender Equality Jurisprudence and the Role of the Judiciary in Promoting Women’s Access to Justice in Bangkok, Thailand on 4 -5 September 2013. The Judicial Colloquium is intended to enhance regional exchange and learning among members of thejudiciary in Southeast Asia.The objectives of the Colloquium are:
- to promote the role of judges in the implementation of CEDAW;
- to enhance awareness among judges of the barriers women face in accessing justice;
- to provide a learning forum on gender equality jurisprudence and give judges an opportunity to take stock of developments and the evolving role of the law in responding to gender inequality;
- to promote capacity building programmes for a gender responsive judiciary;
- to create a space for judges in South-East Asia to share knowledge, lessons learned, and positive examples of judicial strategies for promoting gender equality.