UN Women in Pakistan provides technical advisory and support to the delivery and implementation of gender equality and women’s empowerment agenda. UN Women is uniquely positioned to support initiatives of the Government and Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs) leading towards a full realization of gender equality and women’s empowerment commitments in line with the national and international gender equality and human rights commitment. These include the Constitution, National Action Plan for Women’s Empowerment, the Beijing Platform for Action, the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), Millennium Declaration and the Millennium Development Goals.
UN Women provides support to innovative initiatives that promote women’s human rights, with special focus on their economic security, political participation and freedom from violence. In Pakistan, UN Women stands committed to base its work on a theory of change that is premised on three focus areas:
- Aligning laws and policies of the governments to create a conducive environment for women’s empowerment and human rights;
- Strengthening work processes, resources, and capacities in organizations to fulfill obligations;
- Supporting community level initiatives that demonstrate how changes in practices and attitudes can be achieved to implement commitments that promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.
United Nations Delivering as One Pilot
UN Women is a full participant of the One UN Programme in Pakistan and aims to further improve gender equality. Additionally UN Women Pakistan co-chairs the cross-cutting issues and enhances their integration and accountability.
Collaboration with Ministry of Human Rights
Following devolution (power given to the Provinces) in 2011, the Ministry of Women Development, the main government key strategic partner of UN Women Pakistan, became known as the Ministry of Human Rights. The on-going partnership is built around the understanding that the Ministry of Human Rights is the lead governmental institution to advise, lead and enhance the implementation of women empowerment commitments across line ministries and institutions.
The mandate of the Ministry is to review human rights in the country, initiatives for harmonization of legislation, regulations and practices to ensure compliance to national and international commitments to which Pakistan is a Signatory to, protection of human rights in collaboration with non governmental organisations.
The following are the main areas where by UN Women Pakistan provides technical assistance:
- Legislative and policy reform and implementation
- Implementation of Beijing Platform for Action
- Enhanced women participation, protection and prevention
- Promote dialogue and linkages with the National Commission for Status on Women (NCSW), Women Development Departments (WDDs) and Women Parliamentarian Caucus