Our work in Myanmar
Some of the ways we support women and girls in Myanmar include:
Producing high-quality gender research and analysis
UN Women Myanmar contributes to the availability of data, research, and analysis on the gendered impact of Myanmar’s crisis. This is critical for informing evidence-based responses across the humanitarian, development, and peace-building nexus.
We also provide ongoing technical advice and expertise to mainstream gender in the UN Myanmar Country Team’s planning and programming.
For more information, browse recent publications from UN Women Myanmar
Building the capacity of women leaders
UN Women Myanmar supports women leaders to increase their skills and expertise in participating in decision-making and advocacy, including by:
- Supporting Myanmar women peacebuilders to develop their peace promotion skills through training and knowledge exchange.
- Providing institutional training and technical capacity building on a range of topics including leadership, resource mobilization, information management, safety and security, basic entrepreneurship, financial management, gender in humanitarian action, and sustainable livelihoods.
Protecting vulnerable women and girls
UN Women Myanmar helps ensure women and girls affected by the crisis can access the support they need by providing gender-mainstreaming critical services. Some of the ways we do this include:
- Providing integrated GBV prevention and response services, including cash-based interventions, strengthening GBV referrals with livelihood support, and community protection services.
- Providing cash assistance and critical services to GBV survivors, human trafficking survivors, and women facing economic hardship, and supporting women to find paid employment.
- Training community members on sexual health, reproductive rights, and GBV so they can promote women’s rights and raise awareness about the prevention of sexual and gender-based violence in their communities.
Supporting women to lead and participate in humanitarian action
UN Women Myanmar supports women and women-led civil society organisations to actively participate in responding to the relief and recovery needs of crisis-affected women and girls, including by:
- Facilitating the Women's Peace & Humanitarian Fund in Myanmar, which provides small grants to women-led civil society organisations that have provided humanitarian support to people in all 14 of Myanmar’s states and territories, including emergency aid, access to critical services, capacity building, and awareness raising.
- Supporting women-led small businesses with business skills training, networking sessions, help to improve their business plans, and small grants to support growth.