UN Women Myanmar
Myanmar is experiencing a protracted political, economic, security, and humanitarian crisis – almost 1.9 million people are internally displaced and 17.6 million people need urgent humanitarian assistance. Ongoing conflict and natural disasters are driving new and worsening humanitarian needs on top of the continuing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and political instability following a military takeover in February 2021.
The crisis has significant gendered impacts, as women often bear the brunt of additional and more resource-heavy and time-consuming care work, increased food insecurity, and the risk of gender-based violence (GBV).
Despite the challenges, women-led civil society organisations in Myanmar continue to play a critical leadership role in promoting human rights and highlighting the gendered impacts of the ongoing crisis.
UN Women has been in Myanmar since 2013, working with an extensive network of women-led and women’s rights organizations to support vulnerable women and girls. During the current crisis, we continue to work across the humanitarian, peace, and development nexus, focusing on:
- Creating an enabling environment for gender equality.
- Supporting women to lead and participate in decision-making.
- Improving the protection of vulnerable women and girls and increasing respect for their human rights.
- Supporting women and girls to access, contribute to, and benefit from relief and recovery efforts.
For more information on our work in Myanmar, see the UN Women Myanmar Country Profile
Vulnerable women and girls in Myanmar urgently need your support
- $60 could deliver clean water and food to women and families in need.
- $80 could help build safe, accessible water and toilet facilities to help women and girls maintain their basic health and dignity.
- $100 could provide families with tools and materials to rebuild their homes, so they are safe and secure.
Your donation will help ensure vulnerable women and girls in Myanmar receive the urgent items and services they need.
UN Women Myanmar Country Profile
This country profile provides an overview of the crisis in Myanmar, how the UN Women Myanmar team and our partners are supporting vulnerable women and girls, and our 2022-2023 strategic priorities in Myanmar ... more