Gender snapshot 3: COVID-19 in the Philippines
The Philippines remains gravely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic with the highest number of COVID-19 cases in South East Asia, and the second highest number of COVID-19 related deaths. This third Gender Snapshot from UN Women Philippines captures the situation of women and girls in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic from the period of June to July 2020. It highlights emerging impacts on women and girls, including:
- Protection from gender-based violence, and threats to the safety of LGBTIQ communities
- Challenges facing women migrant workers
- Impacts on women-led micro, small and medium enterprises
- Limitations on women’s access to justice and the situation facing women deprived of liberty
- Exacerbated inequalities facing women in disaster-prone and conflict-affected areas
The Gender Snapshot showcases the work of women activists and civil society organisations in addressing these challenges, and concludes with a Call to Action for all stakeholders in responding to the gendered dimensions of the pandemic.