The sixty-eighth session of the Commission on the Status of Women will take place from 11 to 22 March 2024.
Representatives of Member States, UN entities, and ECOSOC-accredited non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from all regions of the world are invited to contribute to the session.
- Priority theme: Accelerating the achievement of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls by addressing poverty and strengthening institutions and financing with a gender perspective
- Review theme: Social protection systems, access to public services and sustainable infrastructure for gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls (agreed conclusions of the sixty-third session)
The Bureau of the Commission plays a crucial role in facilitating the preparation for, and in ensuring the successful outcome of the annual sessions of the Commission. Bureau members serve for two years. In line with ECOSOC decision 2002/234, the Commission holds the first meeting of its subsequent session, immediately following the closure of the regular session, to elect new members of the Bureau as needed.
The Bureau for the 68th session of the Commission on the Status of Women (2024) comprises the following members:
- H.E. Mr. Antonio Manuel Revilla Lagdameo (Philippines), Chair (Asia and Pacific States Group)
- H.E. Ms. María del Carmen Squeff (Argentina), Vice-Chair (Latin American and Caribbean States Group)
- Mr. Māris Burbergs (Latvia), Vice-Chair (Eastern European States Group)
- H.E. Ms. Yoka Brandt (Netherlands), Vice-Chair designate (Western European and Other States Group)
- Ms. Dúnia Eloisa Pires do Canto (Cabo Verde), Vice-Chair designate, African States Group)
The outcome of the Commission’s consideration of the priority theme during its 68th session will take the form of agreed conclusions, to be negotiated by all Member States.
Asia-Pacific CSW68 Regional Consultation
The Asia-Pacific Regional Consultation was jointly convened on 6-7 February 2024 in Bangkok, Thailand by United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
The regional consultation provided an interactive forum for ESCAP member states and key stakeholders in Asia and the Pacific to examine ways to accelerate progress on key frameworks including the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (in particular the 2019 Asia-Pacific Declaration on Advancing Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment: Beijing+25 Review), the Addis Ababa Action Agenda of the Third International Conference on Financing for Development, and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The outcome of the Asia-Pacific regional consultation for CSW68 will be a set of suggested actions for accelerated progress, in line with the Priority Theme for CSW68. The suggested actions will feed into CSW68 and can inform membership contributions to the Agreed Conclusions.