Join our global Tweetathon to kick-off the Beijing+20 Campaign!
Date: Tuesday, May 20, 2014
New Delhi - 20 years ago, the Beijing Platform for Action was adopted as a comprehensive agenda to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment. Where have we seen progress? What is needed to close existing gaps? Join our 24-hour Tweetathon to kick off the #Beijing20 campaign. More at unwomen.org
UN Women’s new #Beijing20 campaign will be kicked off through a global all-day Tweetathon on Thursday, 22 May, starting at 12 a.m. EST with the first message from @phumzileunwomen!
She’ll be followed by 14 other hosts who’ll tackle specific themes (all times are EST):
- 12.30 a.m. @anubhabhonsle from India will lead the discussion around violence against women and political participation;
- 3 a.m. @femnetprog from Kenya will discuss women and health;
- 4 a.m. @worldywca will tweet on young women’s leadership;
- 7 a.m. @harassmap from Egypt will hold a bilingual discussion (Arabic and English) on sexual harassment and violence against women;
- 8 a.m. @wagggs_world (World Association of Girl Guides and Girls Scouts) will delve into the empowerment of girls;
- 9 a.m. @UN, the main United Nations account, will lead a general discussion on the Beijing Declaration and current affairs;
- 10 a.m. @EuropeanWomen will host a trilingual discussion (English, French, Spanish) on economic empowerment;
- 11 a.m. @half (Half the Sky) will tackle the issue of violence against women;
- 12 a.m. @MConstruyendo (Mujeres Construyendo) from Mexico will lead a general discussion (in Spanish only);
- 1 p.m. @womensmediacntr will address women and the media;
- 2 p.m. @GlobalFundWomen will discuss how to create a safe world for girls;
- 3 p.m. @devex will look at poverty, women and development;
- 4 p.m. @LeanInOrg will highlight girls’ leadership;
- 5 p.m. @UN_Women will conclude the Tweetathon with a general wrap-up discussion.
What is the #Beijing20 campaign?
“Empowering Women – Empowering Humanity: Picture It!”, is a year-long campaign to mark the 20th anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action, considered to be a visionary blueprint for advancing women’s rights in all areas of life. The Campaign is an invitation to global citizens to engage in the conversation, to imagine a world in which gender equality and women’s empowerment is a reality, as well as to discuss existing gaps. It is equally a call to action, for renewed political will, social mobilization and awareness-raising, with a strong focus on visuals and imagination.
A social media package with all content and images is available here (English, Spanish, French): http://ow.ly/x1YFk (embargoed until 22 May @ 12 a.m. EST). After the launch, beginning in early June 2014, the campaign will feature mini-campaigns around each of the monthly topics.
You’ll be able to access new campaign material every month.
Stay tuned to the UN Women homepage for the link to our new Beijing+20 site! And have your say on how to make gender equality and women’s rights a reality!